Follow

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A Suede Waterfall

I was wandering around Fabricland as I like to do occasionally when I came across this fabulous faux suede. It has a substantial weight which makes it look very close to the real thing. When I came back on Fabricland's, 50% off sale, to purchase a couple of yards, I could not find the bolt. What!?!? I asked a store clerk if she knew where the bolt of fabric was and she was sure she had seen it and was pretty sure it was not sold out and then she made a couple of suggestions on where I could look for the fabric as the store was pretty busy. OK, I could do that. So, I looked and looked and when the clerks had a moment they helped look for the bolt. I was about to give up and go home when I spotted the bolt lying in a heap on the floor in the middle of other bolts. Yippee! I was in luck and promptly took my bolt up to the cutting table and stood in line. When the lady in front of me, with a huge amount fabric to be cut by the way, turned and saw my coveted bolt of faux suede, and asked 'could I have a meter cut from the bolt while I'm at the cutting table' I had no reason or forethought as to why I should say no. There appeared to be plenty of fabric and she only needed a meter. She had her meter cut and then it was my turn. Imagine my dismay when the faux suede at the end of the bolt was heavily wrinkled and looked like shit. The sales lady was very nicely sympathetic and gave me the rest of the bolt which amounted to an extra 1/2 meter. Nice sales lady and a lesson for me.

So here is my waterfall Swingy Cardigan with pockets            Burda 08/2011/117D






When I came home from the fabric store that day I wrapped the fabric around a styrofoam noodle that kids use for swimming and over the ensuing months most of the wrinkles relaxed. 




In the end it all worked out and I'm quite happy with my suede waterfall cardigan. This was a fairly straight forward sew as there where no edges to finish. I added a stay tape on the back neck edge, pockets and did a little top stitching around the raglan sleeve seams.








No comments:

Post a Comment