Follow

Monday, March 28, 2016

Stripes and Flowers

I have had my eye on this McCall's Pattern 6559 for quite some time now, as a matter of fact since 2012 when Pattern 
Review declared this one of the best patterns for 2012. I have also had a yearning for a maxi dress since about that time as well. Last year I bought this blue and white striped rayon jersey on impulse from Dress Sew when I was in Vancouver. A couple of months ago Fabric Land had a sale on McCall's patterns and it was time to buy this pattern. Then a trip to Kauai was on the horizon and I needed something for the tropics. These three things aligned and my pattern and fabric was on the table ready to be cut and assembled.



I made View F without the star appliqué. I tried the star with a floral scuba knit I had left over from a skirt I had made last year but it didn't look quite right. So as a nod to the style of Alabama Chanin I cut around the individual flowers and butterflies and hand sewed them onto the dress in the same area as the star would have been. 


This ended up feeling like a fun detail that I like very much. 




The dress is super comfortable and a lot fun to wear. I certainly hope to make a couple of more versions over the next couple of months with summer coming soon here on the island.






No comments:

Post a Comment